lynx-dev re: why not --disable-news

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev re: why not --disable-news
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:27:15 -0500

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 10:48:57PM -0500, John Bley wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:
>
> > > a "no frills" option can be implemented it means that a newer version of
> > > lynx has a better chance of fitting.
> > Another snip to the code "--disable-news." This one is more ambitious,
> Great, thanks!
>
> > "--disable-ftp" is feasible, but more useful to keep (IMHO).
> I'd agree, except that my example of using lynx on a single-floppy system
> (LOAF: http://www.ecks.org/loaf/) already includes ftp anyway.  Perhaps
> after --disable fever subsides, we can agree on smart defaults for a
> --no-frills option.

If someone someone could verify the finger and news removal are good
patches, I can work on configuration for disabling FTP code from the
lynx image.

> Meanwhile, I'm busy investigating dead code and have a question: Are
> all these empty HText_* functions here for any particular reason?
> Nothing's even calling into them. There are even several non-empty
> HText_ functions that aren't ever getting called.

Besides dead code, are there places that have repeated code that would
better be modularized (besides *Main*)?

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
You are the same as any other so-called life form.