Re: lynx-dev Vlad's suggestions

From: Greg Marr
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Vlad's suggestions
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:30:01 -0500

At 10:13 AM 3/8/99 , Chuck Martin wrote:
>Another thing that isn't forbidden, but lynx doesn't do properly in
>my opinion, is <CENTER> or <DIV>.

I am assuming you mean CENTER or DIV within PRE.  If so, then they are most
explicitly forbidden.  CENTER and DIV are block-level elements, and PRE can
only contain a subset of the inline elements.

>Now you may think that centering
>text defeats the purpose of <PRE>, but I don't think so.

It does in that one of the purposes of PRE is to "preserve constant line
spacing and column alignment for text rendered in a fixed-pitch font."

However, if it centers the block of text instead of each line of text, then the
formatting is preserved.

>If you pad
>the shorter lines with spaces so that all of the lines are the same
>length, you should be able to center a block of text without destroying
>the formatting.  This could be desireable if your preformatted block is
>composed of many short lines (20 to 30 characters per line, for example).
>Netscape will center the block properly (NS actually centers the text
>line by line), but lynx turns off the preformatting if it finds such tags.

Make sure you have the tags nested properly.
<DIV ALIGN=CENTER>
<PRE>
Text here
</PRE>
</DIV>

Any other ordering is invalid HTML and subject to error recovery.

--
Greg Marr
address@hidden