lynx-dev The Dead Code Report

From: John Bley
Subject: lynx-dev The Dead Code Report
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:55:43 -0500 (EST)

Well, here's the report.  There might be errors, caution should be used
in interpreting results.  However, there is clear evidence that there is
a lot of dead code in lynx.  Whether it should be left in, commented out,
or removed depends on a variety of factors, including age of code,
chance of use, and documentation-archeology needs.  This is only the
obviously dead code, much more probably exists.  I invite comments on
where these methods came from/are going, and what (if anything) should be
done with them.

REPORT: Methods that are never called, so far as I can figure:

(The right-hand column indicates what the code is wrapped in, if
anything - #if or /* for conditional compilation or commented-out.  ()
means that at first glance it appears to be "active" code.)

hash_code_rp                 (#if NOT_USED)
SGML_callerData              (#if CALLERDATA)
SGML_setCallerData           (#if CALLERDATA)
HTCreatePath                 (#if NOT_IMPLEMENTED)
con_get_unimap               (#if NOTDEFINED)
lynx_start_target_color      ()
lynx_stop_target_color       ()
UCGetRawUniMode_byLYhndl     ()
HTAnchor_setAddress          ( /* */ )
number2arrows                ()
LYAddHtmlSep0                ()
LYHaveImageMap               ()
con_get_trans_new            (#if NOTDEFINED)
con_set_trans_new            (#if NOTDEFINED)
con_get_trans_old            (#if NOTDEFINED)
con_set_trans_old            (#if NOTDEFINED)
HTPlainToHTML                ()
HTSaveLocally                ()
HText_setNodeAnchorBookmark  ()
getpass                      ()
LYOpenInternalPage           (#if NOTDEFINED (not in .h though))
HTSetNewsHost                ()
HTNetMIME                    ()
HTWriter_new                 ()
HTASCIIWriter                ()
HTextSelectUnstyled          ()
HTextApplyToSimilar          ()
WWW_nameOfFile               ()
HTCacheFileName              ()
HTAnchor_appendTitle         ()
HTAnchor_hasChildren         ()
HTAAForwardAuth_set          ()
HTAnchor_makeLastChild       ()
style_defaultStyleSheet      ()
HText_refresh                ()
HText_scrollTop              ()
HText_canScrollUp            ()
HText_scrollBottom           ()
HText_dump                   ()
HText_replaceSel             ()
HText_selectionStyle         ()
HText_unlinkSelection        ()
HText_applyStyle             ()
HText_updateStyle            ()
HText_nodeAnchor             ()
HText_referenceSelected      ()
HText_scrollUp               ()
HText_scrollDown             ()
HText_linkSelTo              ()
free_and_clear               ()
HTCopyNoCR                   ()
HTSaveStream                 ()
HTNetToText                  ()
HTLoadToStream               (#if NOT_USED_CODE)

--
John Bley - address@hidden
Duke '99 - English/Computer Science