Re: lynx-dev CJK broken in Lynx 2.8.2dev.17

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev CJK broken in Lynx 2.8.2dev.17
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:37:15 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 8-Mar-99 10:55 Henry Nelson wrote:
> Certain minore changes that may affect CJK were done by me in dev.18
> If you camplaying to dev.17, where were significant changes for TEXTAREA
> handling and Lynx Key map handling - both seems irrelevant for page reading.
> Lots of other things were changed, though.

It could be the lack of the initializers for Japanese charsets in
LYCharSet_UC[MAXCHARSETS], but that's just a guess.  Maybe one of the
bit flags gets set differently, I don't see which though. I haven't yet
compiled the new code after the changes.

> > Japanese support is broken for "http://www.synnex.co.jp/regist.html";,
> > upon cursory examination a "valid page" using sjis character set.  The
> > same page is rendered correctly by Lynx 2.8.2dev.8.

That page has

     content="text/html; charset=x-sjis">

The charset name is bogus.  (Why do people prefix things with "x-" if
there's a registered name anyway?)  Recognize by Lynx are "shift_jis"
and "x-shift-jis".

Of course that doesn't explain the difference.
I think Henry didn't tell us what Display character set he is using,
and -assume_charset if any.  (If he did - sorry, missed it).

   Klaus