Re: lynx-dev Vlad's: <PRE>, formatting, screen width

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Vlad's: <PRE>, formatting, screen width
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 00:30:27 +0000 (GMT)

> >      It seems that it will be useful to allow lynx to interpret tags
> >  inside <PRE> block preserving the layout of the source in <pre>.

Mimicing error recovery and "undefined" behavour is dangerous, it
leads other authors to presume the same behaviour on invalid input.

> >  This is supported by at least Netscape (even <HTML>,<HEAD>,<BODY>
> >  are not required for NS) and kfm ( <HTML>,<HEAD>,<BODY> tags are required
> >  for document to be parsed as HTML even for file with .html extension).

.html is irrelevant, the only valid indicator of HTML over an HTTP
connection is a text/html  media type (maybe also application/html).
N.B. IE4's detection of HTML by <html> in the absence of a correct
media type is broken.

if Lynx is failing to parse HTML with a correct media type, but omitting
these, it is broken.  NB. <title> is not optional, at least for HTML
4.0.  Lynx 2.7.2 correctly recognizes B and I without any of html,
head or body, or even title.  NB this is only valid for valid HTML 2.0;
later version require doctype to be valid, although I'd expect Lynx to
parse them without this.

full list of forbidden elements, for HTML 4 transitional is:

IMG, OBJECT, APPLET, BIG, SMALL, SUB, SUP, FONT, BASEFONT.

The list for HTML 4 strict is shorter, because some of these elements
are absolutely forbidden.

I have never doubted that A is allowed in PRE.

> >    This feature allows quick pseudo-html-formatting of the pure-text
> > documents

The only violation is the absence of a title element.

> >  for which no hypertext source in any form isn't availble by inserting tags
> >  like <b>,<i> around chapter titles, etc using 'sed'. Currently default

Chapter titles should *always* use Hn; that way formatters can construct
tables of contents (e.g. Amaya and html2ps).  (html2ps (plus distiller
or ghostscript) will even construct a PDF outline from them.)