Re: lynx-dev Re: size_change code

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: size_change code
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:16:07 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, Webmaster Jim said:

> Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 11:54:24 -0500
>
> Complete success would mean the full page as resized looks like it would
> if Lynx started at that size. I have tried combos of ^R, ^W, ^L without
> being able to get a usable screen after resize. The main symptom is
> that moving from link to link will land the cursor in the wrong place,
> redrawing text in the wrong position during the move.

I don't experience even a "partial" success; more like an incomplete
failure on either Solaris or OS/390.  After I resize the screen,
^R and ^L simply allow me to alternate between two different
versions of garbled screen.

And this is complicated even more because on startup Lynx (or perhaps
curses) fully respects the settings of environment variables LINES
and COLUMNS.  I find COLUMNS particularly useful when I want to format
a document to fit a particular printer; I'd dislike to see its
effectiveness eroded.  So, how should SIGWINCH interact with
LINES and COLUMNS?  Should catching SIGWINCH override and reset
the settings of LINES and COLUMNS on entry?  Should SIGWINCH be
honored only if LINES and COLUMNS were unset on entry?  Are there
useful intermediate alternatives?

-- gil