Re: lynx-dev VIEWER: line not working in lynx.cfg in Lynx 2.8.1rel.2

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev VIEWER: line not working in lynx.cfg in Lynx 2.8.1rel.2
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:01:38 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Jean-Pierre Moreau wrote:

> I run  Lynx 2.8.1rel.2 (1998)  on a GNU+Linux of Slackware-3.3 on a
> PC, 80486, ...
> Lynx was compiled and installed without problems on this PC: 1998/11/26.
>
> It runs perfectly (thank you every one there!) since then.
>
> Today, I changed one line in /usr/local/lynx/lib/lynx.cfg:
>     #VIEWER:application/postscript:ghostview %s&:XWINDOWS
>     VIEWER:application/postscript:gv %s&:XWINDOWS
>
> I also tried this, with complete path to gv command:
>     VIEWER:application/postscript:/usr/local/bin/gv %s&:XWINDOWS
> and tried without the '&' too, since no '&' in the example above this
> line.
> I know it is the good config file, since this line is seen from the
> Lynx information page:
>     =   ->   (compile time settings)  ->  your lynx.cfg file
> (note: there is an error on Lynx on-line help of how to go to
>        'your lynx configuration file')

Please be more specific about what you regard as an error.

> But when a PostScript file is 'clicked-on (in the lynx way)', Lynx
> continue to call ghostview, not gv.
>
> I did even make an entry in newly created file
> /usr/local/lib/mosaic/mime.types:
>      application/postscript; gv %s; ;  test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
> but ghostview continue to be called.

Entries like this don't belong in a mime.types file, but in a mailcap
file.

Start lynx with -trace, then review the Lynx.trace file for hints;
you can do that with ';' from within lynx.  It should indicate
near the beginning which mailcap entries were picked up.

Is the file that you think is application/postscript really handled
as application/postscript?  Lynx.trace should tell that, too.
If it is served by HTTP, you can use HEAD ']' to see the actual
Content-type.

Could you please test whether things work correctly with the latest
development code from <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>?

The order of precedence is (at least in 2.8.2dev)

1) PERSONAL_MAILCAP file        (highest priority)
2) GLOBAL_MAILCAP file
3) builtin defaults (HTInit.c)
4) VIEWER in lynx.cfg

There is a builtin default for application/postscript if run under X,
and the precedence means you can't actually change it with VIEWER
(but you can in a mailcap file) - maybe this should be better
documented.

    Klaus