lynx-dev Lynx Referer: problem

From: Michael Smith
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx Referer: problem
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:21:54 -0400 (AST)

Lynx doesn't send a Referer: header when following a link from a page that
was generated from a URL with GET query data. From the 2.8 CHANGES file:

1997-07-02
* Mods in LYGetFile.c to include URLs with content from a form submission
  with method GET in the group for which Referer headers are never sent,
  because the content might include private (e.g., password or credit
  card) information which should not be visible in Referer logs. - FM

As a webmaster, it's useful for me to know what search terms people are
using to get to my website. I understand that Lynx is designed with a
little more privacy and user control in mind than Netscape or IE, though,
so I can see the reasoning behind this (although I've never seen anyone
code a user auth or credit card form using GET ;). The problem is that
Lynx doesn't send a Referer header at all.

I think it should at least send everything up to the ? in the URL for the
Referer header. That way sites that do referer-based link protection will
still work from Lynx. (Go to http://www.shadnet.shad.ca/accountclaim/
using Lynx, select a campus and a year, submit and try to follow a link
for anyone's name - you can't).

I've seen this behaviour in Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8.1pre.9.