lynx-dev lynx-2.8.2dev19 commandline parsing question. nntp problems.

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: lynx-dev lynx-2.8.2dev19 commandline parsing question. nntp problems.
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:55:47 +0400 (SAMT)

  I've decided to work on lynx-2.8.2dev19 commandline handling. IMO lynx
  does slightly incorrectly. When it scans for specially-handled options in
  'main':LYMain.c , it uses calls like
      if (strncmp(buf, "-nosocks", 8) == 0)
  (this way seems to be dominating) for options that don't accept arguments
  or (less frequently - seems to be newer code)
      if (strcmp(buf, "-validate") == 0)
  First way seems incorrect for me - it will accept both "-nosocks" and
  "-nosocks-blah-blah-blah". I can correct this ( ie make all calls for
  options w/o args to look like  2nd line). Should I?

  It seems that lynx doesn't check whether more than 1 URL is passed in
  commandline options (and from stdin): ie
    lynx file1.html file2.html
  is not reported as an error. Should I fix this? If yes, should lynx complain
  about it and dump "help" or display 1st file?

  I've decided to modify LYMain.c so it will also accept commandline args
  in GNU style (ie --localhost is same for -localhost). Are there any
  objections against it?

  I'm having problems with news handling of lynx.
  When I 'g' to nntp://news.kraft-s.ru, I recieve a screen something like
  "No matches for *". There is a newsgroup there named 'kraft.abonents'. When
  I 'g' to 'nntp://news.kraft-s.ru/kraft.abonents', lynx displays a list
  of messages of this NG ( ie this nntp server is OK, lynx partially OK).
  On the other hand,  when I use Netscape and add this nntpserver to it's
  "Discussion Group" or  so, it lists all newsgroups on this nntp server (ie
  newsserver is surely OK).

  PS: I'm using lynx-2.8.2dev19.

  Best regards,
  -Vlad