Re: lynx-dev multiuser versus single user system use of lynx and

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev multiuser versus single user system use of lynx and
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:54:01 -0600 (CST)

Amazingly enough Leonid Pauzner said:
> 28-Feb-99 14:16 Mike Castle wrote:
> > Well, I want to work on a new configuration mechanism for lynx.  A table
>
> This require a memory for command line switches (and we could not
> change most of them on-line, yes?). Now we have in that order:
> read_cfg();
> read_rc();
> <misc code for handling command line switches>

I pictured that, when active, there would be a heirarchy of config
settings:  those read from system config file, those read from personal
config file, those from command line, those changed at run time.

With that as the ascending order of precedence (ie, changed at run time is
what would be used).

When saving, the following would happen:

If an item was changed at run time, the personal level would be set to that
value and command line and run time levels would be cleared.

If the user wanted to, personal level items would be set to command line
items, and the command line items cleared (This would make command line
switches pernament in the future... I doubt many would use this though).

Finally, all config file items that are DIFFERENT from the system config
file would be saved.  There would be two options here:  If wanted to, all
options could be saved anyway (picture this as a way to generated a system
file).  Also, all items originally read from config file would be saved
(this way, if, say an NFS home dir served by various OSs that have slightly
different system config files but you want an options that's set on one
system config but not the other, you don't want to be caught by
surprised... this would probably be the default).

mrc [reading mail for the first time since sent this original reply]
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all