Re: lynx-dev Lynx Access in Japan

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx Access in Japan
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:08:09 -0500 (EST)

990311 Henry Nelson wrote:
>>  telnet://ibr1.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp .
> Please no longer advertise this.
> Without information on how to log in, it is useless, anyway.

surely it was within the last year that i read on lynx-dev
a message from you saying how extremely important you believed it
that there should be a public Lynx available
& offering the above as at least one such you would ensure remained so.
i will of course honor your request,
but could we please have a little more consistency?

> I will leave it in place for active developers and other legitimate users,
> but in general people these days don't need telnet,
> and a lot of "bad element" types use telnet for abuse.

are you suggesting we should make that unkind assumption about users
who ask apparently innocent questions, esp from a place like UC Berkeley?
if people in general don't need telnet, why would active developers?
certainly this is the first time i've heard such a comment about telnet:
what is the experience of other lynx-devers?

>> any ISP with UNIX shell access will allow you to compile your own Lynx:
> Not all ISPs give blanket permission on the use of the system compiler.
> Many ISPs have quotas set which will not allow one to even open up
  ^^^^
> a distribution the size of Lynx, much less configure and compile it.
> A few savvy ISPs restrict memory use and CPU time.
        ^^^^^
is it indeed the case that "many" ISPs impose such restrictions
in these days when hardware in general & memory in particular are very cheap,
esp in a country like Japan, renowned for its high standard of living
(it was Japan the user inquired about by name)?

the Oxford English Dictionary defines the adjective `savvy' as:

  having practical sense, quick-witted; knowledgeable, wily, experienced.

are you suggesting that is an accurate description of ISPs
who restrict memory & CPU time to an extent
which would interfere with unzipping, configuring & compiling Lynx?

when was the last time you tried to answer a user's inquiry?