Re: lynx-dev multiuser versus single user system use of lynx and

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev multiuser versus single user system use of lynx and
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:21:06 -0800

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999, Mike Castle (address@hidden) said:

| When saving, the following would happen:
|
| If an item was changed at run time, the personal level would be set to that
| value and command line and run time levels would be cleared.

Just to be clear about it ... "saving" should be an explicit action, and
NOT something that happens "automatically" when (say) exiting.

| If the user wanted to, personal level items would be set to command line
| items, and the command line items cleared (This would make command line
| switches pernament in the future... I doubt many would use this though).

Command line flags/switches/args should at startup time, override all other
forms of option setting, but should *never* become part of a config save
operation, IMNSHO.  Save state should reflect only the o(ptions) settings,
and/or what we now refer to as the lync.cfg settings.

| Finally, all config file items that are DIFFERENT from the system config
| file would be saved.  There would be two options here:  If wanted to, all
| options could be saved anyway (picture this as a way to generated a system
| file).  Also, all items originally read from config file would be saved

Having both "save deltas" and "save full" modes sounds like a good idea,
at least in the initial implementation, and testing of such a reorganized
optioning mechanism.

BTW, how do you plan to deal with all the ./configure-time build options,
and/or compile-time userdefs.h options, which have no actual counterpart
in the existing lynx.cfg/.lynxrc/cmd-line option set(s)?

/kim