Re: lynx-dev tiny distribution (was: Dead Code, Part 2)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev tiny distribution (was: Dead Code, Part 2)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:37:33 -0500

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 10:24:40AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > whipped up a makefile target called "save-tiny" which uses GNU tar
> > "exclude" flags to skip files while making a tar. Please review this
> My gripe has always been at-the-source, because that is what I need to
> [ ...]

Please submit other files for this parallel "tiny" distribution that you
can do without, such as help pages, makefile.old, etc.

> > "save" target, you can do this without removing your compiled code.
> I have a half dozen such targets to keep the maximum available within
> the confines of limitations on particular machines. Looking at this one
> from the point of view of "all-purpose" it looks good.

More details and testing by others would be great.

> > --exclude $(lynxdir)/src/chrtrans/\*uni.h \
> Just asking as I don't know, but will a code set with these removed
> still compile?

That rule was a guess as to generated code within that directory during
a 5-minute break :-) I thought the build routine did "cp1250_uni.tbl ->
cp1250_uni.h" so excluding the .h file from the distribution was safe. I
just downloaded it and compiled it, so "it works for me."

> I hope I'm not getting on people's nerves too much and stepping on other
> people's feet. Just `d' my messages. Anyone who does anything for Lynx
> is tops in my book. Jim, you're towards the top of that. If I sound
> nasty sometimes, it's just that I'm an idealist for Lynx.

No problem.

The source repository is intended to be publically accessible, and when
I have time, I will revisit the page that allows one to check out old
code. Also, plenty of sites have the old code for posterity. For really
useless "orphan" code, just remove it.

Marvin the Paranoid Android.