lynx-dev dead code & 2-8-2

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev dead code & 2-8-2
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:28:56 -0500 (EST)

990315 Henry Nelson wrote re John Bley's efforts:
> I'd like to be sure a record of these patches is kept somewhere
> in case they don't get integrated right away.
> It would be a real waste if all this work is lost and forgotten.

they need only be submitted to lynx-dev to remain in the Archive.

> I have been getting cryptic messages from Tom
> he would like to start to move towards a release.
> I hope Tom will confirm that one way or the other.
> Since Tom is integrater, we need to go by his schedule.
> If Tom wants to work  99 %  on ironing out the bugs,
> then it might be wise to hold off your changes
> until the the climate is more receptive.

one of my suggestions in response to JB's request for comments was
to hold his clean-up till immediately after 2-8-2rel.1 ,
then make them the defining patches for 2-8-3dev.1 ;
that will make it easy for everyone in future to see what was done
& for researchers to have an easy starting-point.

the consensus of replies -- LE has promised one tomorrow --
seems to be that JB's work is very useful,
but should proceed with a modicum of caution;
that would fit in with TD's schedule nicely as well.