Re: lynx-dev Lynx: ftp problems

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx: ftp problems
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:14:09 -0500 (EST)

990315 Frederic Meunier wrote:
> The problem is that it occurs at a certain time with a certain ftp site.
> It's not a problem in the ftp sites i think.
> I'll make a test now...  ftp://ftp.epicsol.org

using 2-8-2dev.19 (like you) & the  g  command, i go there & get

                                    Welcome

Jul 10  1998  Directory        [1]bin
Mar  5  1998  Directory        [2]etc
Mar  5  1998  Directory        [3]hidden
Mar  8 08:26  Directory        [4]pub

> Lynx connects to the ftp site
> but returns to the page i was when the connection was made.

does it do that straight away or after you enter some command?
when i enter  4  at the above screen, i get

                                      pub

[1]Up to /

Mar  5  1998  Directory          [2]Mac
Aug 22  1998  Symbolic Link      [3]epic
Mar 11 15:52  Directory          [4]ircii
Mar  8 08:25  Executable         [5]rmska.exe  42Kb
Mar  5  1998  Directory          [6]skyway
Mar  5  1998  Directory          [7]usefulware
Mar  5  1998  Directory          [8]vt
Mar  5  1998  Directory          [9]win95
Mar  5  1998  Directory          [10]windows

[PW resumes] [9] then takes me off to a  win95  directory.

> I now press, g, up arrow and enter and it shows this:
>                                               / directory
> Current directory is /

i don't follow what you're doing at this point.

> You can see that it's not returning the files and directories.

it certainly does for me.

> If i make this connection with ftp://ftp.x.y/z and z is a text
> it shows the text.  And if i use wget to get a file,
> it works (pressing "." at the link). It's very strange for me.

i'm not questioning your experience for a moment,
but i have no problem accessing the site using Lynx.
try to describe exactly where your experience differs from mine above.