Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.19 patch #6 (em dash = --)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.19 patch #6 (em dash = --)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 05:12:13 -0600 (CST)

(Comments based on seeing patches, not testing)

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> * — (&#x2014) now display as "--" (popular requests) - LP
> *   now display as two   (popular requests),
>   previous definition of HT_EM_SPACE now renamed to HT_EN_SPACE. - LP

I remember seeing requests for the "--", but not for the   change.
Is this really a good idea?   Maybe the — should be changed, but
  left as it is?

The change introduces "  " in some places, but in some contexts this might
be collapsed later into one space anyway (possibly in attributes?).

  should be as wide as an 'm' (or 'M'?) which would mean to leave it
as it is.  I don't think making it wider helps understanding of any texts.

— should also be as wide as an 'm' (or 'M'?), but leaving it as one
'-' makes some texts harder to read so there is a better reason for the
change.

Thanks for addressing the reloading issue for the Options screen.

    Klaus