Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.19 patch #6 (em dash = --)

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.19 patch #6 (em dash = --)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:56:17 +0300 (MSK)

15-Mar-99 05:12 Klaus Weide wrote:
> (Comments based on seeing patches, not testing)

> On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

>> * — (&#x2014) now display as "--" (popular requests) - LP
>> *   now display as two   (popular requests),
>>   previous definition of HT_EM_SPACE now renamed to HT_EN_SPACE. - LP

> I remember seeing requests for the "--", but not for the   change.
> Is this really a good idea?   Maybe the — should be changed, but
>   left as it is?

> The change introduces "  " in some places, but in some contexts this might
> be collapsed later into one space anyway (possibly in attributes?).

The current &emsp change affect only one line in SGML.c/put_special_unicodes().
No problem to change it back but hope &emsp should be consistent with &mdash.

Attributes were not changed last year but occasionally they expand
&emsp to two spaces from from def7_uni.tbl - try test/spaces.html.
I am not sure whether there is a context where _this_ string
might be collapsed (and require fixing),
but probably we had even less requests addressed for this problem :)

>   should be as wide as an 'm' (or 'M'?) which would mean to leave it
> as it is.  I don't think making it wider helps understanding of any texts.

> — should also be as wide as an 'm' (or 'M'?), but leaving it as one
> '-' makes some texts harder to read so there is a better reason for the
> change.

> Thanks for addressing the reloading issue for the Options screen.

Thanks. It took several hours to debug this morning :)