Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.19 patch #6 (em dash = --)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.19 patch #6 (em dash = --)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:36:20 -0500 (EST)

990316 Klaus Weide wrote:
> my reservation about alway &emsp -> " " (two spaces)
-- SIC: was that too hasty for `always   -> "  " (two spaces)' ? --
> is mostly that this is another step in a direction I don't want:
> to give authors more detailed layout control than is good for us.
> Some author thinks an     makes something "look better"
> in their GUI browser; should Lynx try to follow along, or should it
> just try to render the "meaning" (whatever *that* means) of documents?

this is a fundamental issue which deserves proper debate,
but perhaps not here & now: rather at a W3C conference.
the point is that the current apparently official policy is confused
-- yet again -- , in that it says both:
`authors should not attempt to determine physical layout of documents'
& `browsers should always follow the specs';
there's also: `authors can always use <PRE> blocks',
which if taken literally is an invitation to use <PRE> everywhere.

Lynx (or any browser) must either try to do what the author wants
-- insofar as it can interpret that from the HTML --
or draw up its own set of stylistic rules to impose on documents
or leave an undefined gap with a potential mess on the screen.
in practice, Lynx mostly follows the author's apparent intentions,
while retaining a few pedantic fetishes,
eg collapsing <BR>'s & wasting  3 spaces  at the left-hand margin.

unlike KW (smile), i would prefer Lynx to do its best to present documents
as their author intended, insofar as that is possible.
most authors are sloppy & lazy, but a few try to be neat & readable
& they should be encouraged, just as we try to encourage rational HTML.

<rant> as for the W3C, it's rather like the IOC,
a self-appointed group representing big organisations & rich individuals:
to join as an individual you have to pay  USD 5 K  for  3 years :
 http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Prospectus/Joining .
its rules are for the guidance of the wise & the obedience of fools </rant>.