Re: lynx-dev When unhighlighting some highlighted links, lynx draws them

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev When unhighlighting some highlighted links, lynx draws them incorrectly
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:50:21 -0800

Vlad Harchev wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> > (To repeat myself:) My preference is that IF "--xxx" flags are recognized,
> > THEN (for those long style flags, at least) the syntax for forcing on/off
> > instead of toggling should also change (from "-xxx+" and "-xxx-").
> > (I don't know how this fits in with the visions various people have for
> > revamping the whole flags and options handling.)
>
>     May be style like -xxx+ or -xxx- should be supported forever, and
>   --xxx=on or --xxx=off should be added?

"-toggle=on" and "-toggle=off" have been supported since 1998/05/10
(Lynx 2.8.1dev.10).

Lynx already supports, or one might say *requires*, multi-character
options, which is what that GNU "--" was about in the first place.  If
you want to be more finger-compatible with GNU, the only change you
should be making is to accept "--anything-at-all" as meaning exactly the
same as "-anything-at-all"; essentially, when you first start looking at
an option, if the first 2 chars are "--" then skip the first one and
allow it to be parsed by the existing Lynx code.

>    Frankly speaking, I think there should be a fronted script to lynx that
>  will partially parse comandline. In that case such frontend should
>  generate HTML file containing of links to URL-1 .. URL-N-1 and load that
>  file to lynx - so user can visually select one of the URLs passed.

It would be trivial to write such a script.  It shouldn't be the default
way Lynx gets started, but would be a useful adjunct for people who
sometimes need to start it that way.

>  Another idea is to make command line option with argument, that will
>  add it's argument to list that 'g' uses. Both of these approaches seem
>  useful to me (1st seems to be like 'do it yourself').

This doesn't need to be an option.  Any time more than one URL is on the
command line, Lynx can add all of them to the "gotobuffer", and go to
the last one.  There is already an option to disable the "gotobuffer" --
GOTOBUFFER in lynx.cfg and probably corresponding compile options etc.;
this is sufficient to control behavior for multiple URLs on the command
line.