lynx-dev Version hides real subject in mailing list

From: David Woolley
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:46:48 +0000 (GMT)

Here is a small sample of my incoming Lynx mail:

     49  Mar 16 Klaus Weide        (53)   Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.19 patch #
     50  Mar 16 Michael Warner     (50)   Multiple command-line URL's (was: Re
  N  51  Mar 16 David Combs        (35)   Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.19 patch #
  N  52  Mar 16 David Combs        (67)   Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.19 patch #
  N  53  Mar 16 David Combs        (63)   Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.19 patch #

Note that for 4 of these the only visible information in the subject is
the name of the latest development version.  Generally I ignore these as
the effective subject contains about as much information as the "Problem",
or "Bug" subjects that come from newbies.  Note Pegasus Mail truncates
similarly and I think this is true of most other mail readers.  (trn has
the best strategy as it breaks the subject in the middle and inserts and
ellipsis.)

Could you please re-arrange your subjects to ensure that the information in
the subject comes nearer the front, if you want people to actually read
them.  (It would probably be a good idea to reduce lynx-dev to lynx or
[LYNX] - majordomo will leave out the former if lynx appears in the
original subject.)