lynx-dev Re: disable wording (was: lynx2.8.2dev.20)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: disable wording (was: lynx2.8.2dev.20)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:02:05 -0500

I patterned the "--disable-gopher" et al options after
--disable-partial, and after seeing John Bley's recent note about the
latter option, I'm rethinking the terms. The disable option is used in
at least 2 ways, one to not include the code in the binary, and one to
set a default condition. The flags in dev19 are included below.

  Two flags (partial and dired) say use or enable in the definition,
while the others say disable. The hint in all cases says "default: on",
so I'm staying with my original thought on the phrasing.

  On the other hand, perhaps we need to differentiate options that
include code versus options that set defaults:

 (default: compiled in)
 (default: not compiled in)
 (default: switched on)
 (default: switched off)

Dev19+ options:

  --disable-FEATURE       do not include FEATURE (same as --enable-FEATURE=no)
  --disable-echo          test: display "compiling" commands (default: on)
  --disable-trace         disable logic for trace code (default: on)
  --disable-full-paths    control whether full utility pathnames are used
(default: on)
  --disable-config-info   disable browsable configuration-info (default: on)
  --disable-forms-options disable experimental forms-based options (default: on)
  --disable-menu-options  disable old-style option menu (default: on)
  --disable-extended-dtd  disable extended HTML DTD logic (default: on)
  --disable-partial       use partial-display logic (default: on)
  --disable-gopher  disable GOPHER logic (default: on)
  --disable-finger  disable FINGER logic (default: on)
  --disable-news  disable NEWS logic (default: on)
  --disable-dired          enable optional directory-editor, DirEd (default: on)
  --disable-dired-archive  disable dearchiving commands (default: on)
  --disable-dired-override disable private keymaps (default: on)
  --disable-dired-permit  disable chmod/attrib commands (default: on)
  --disable-dired-xpermit disable chmod/attrib commands (default: on)
  --disable-dired-tar     disable "tar" command (default: on)
  --disable-dired-uudecode disable "uudecode" command (default: on)
  --disable-dired-zip     disable "zip", "unzip"  commands (default: on)
  --disable-dired-gzip    disable "gzip", "gunzip" commands (default: on)
  --disable-long-list     disable long "ls -l" directory listings (default: on)
  --disable-parent-dir-refs

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says: