Re: lynx-dev Version hides real subject in mailing list

From: Bela Lubkin
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:21:51 -0800

David Combs wrote:

> Maybe MUTT should be looked at, and how IT munges the
> subject-line to form the sort-key -- the majordomo lynx-added
> scheme should be sensitive to THAT.
>
> eg, it should remove the "Re:" BEFORE doing its shrinkage.
>
> A further problem is that you send out ONE email, ie with
> ONE subject line (munged, canonicalized, whataever), REGARDLESS
> of the screen WIDTH of the mail READER (person); in fact,
> one hour he/she might have 80 col screen, and the next
> hour (returning from the airport) maybe 132.
>
> No easy solution here!

David, you have a small point here.  You argue it too vigorously.  IMHO.
The EMBEDDED CAPS don't help, they make you look like a used car
salesman / spammer.

Anyway.  Yeah, look at Mutt.  I haven't, yet, but I understand that it
is quite flexible.  Now, mind you I'm only guessing, but I just bet it
has the ability to mangle subject lines *in your mailbox*.  I bet you
could instruct it to modify the subject lines of your lynx-dev mailbox
before you ever see them, and keep them so modified.  e.g. (as `sed`
regular expressions):

  s/lynx-dev //g
  s/[Rr]e: [Rr]e: /Re: /g
  s/lynx2\.8\.1dev\./281dev/g
  s/lynx2\.8\.1rel\./281rel/g
  s/lynx2\.8\.2dev\./282dev/g
  s/[Ll]ynx *//g       (if you really want to get serious...)

I also know for sure that *other* programs exist which will do this sort
of transformation to a mailbox, or to each individual mail message as it
arrives.  procmail, for example.

So go wild -- do whatever you want to the subject lines in your own
mailbox(es).