Re: lynx-dev --enable-color-style and background

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev --enable-color-style and background
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:59:35 -0500 (EST)

> Just compiled 2.8.1rel.1 with --enable-color-style. Looks very nice, but
> it never sets the background color to black; when running in an xterm
> with a non-black background color, we get the xterm's background for
> most of the text, but the black background on any text whose attributes
> are set by lynx (wuch as links, boldface, etc.).
it's more complicated than that - but briefly:

        + I'd tuned the lynx.lss file to support default-colors (it works
          ok with Solaris curses on a white/black screen though).

        + the curses standard (there is one) says the default colors are
          assumed to be white/black - and ncurses uses this as part of the
          optimization except when the use_default_colors function is
          invoked.  (There's no reliable way to determine what the default
          colors actually _are_).

        + I noticed (when checking this report) that I left use_default_colors
          in the code when --disable-default-colors is specified (the
          configure option does do something, but not as much as it should).
          Anyway, that's a (minor) error.  If I correct that, you'll like
          the result less, since a black/white screen is still assumed to
          be white/black.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden