Re: lynx-dev LYNX: another article, on M$ and antitrust and conservative

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: another article, on M$ and antitrust and conservative judges
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:43:38 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, David Combs wrote:
>We've all seen and hated this stuff about software patents --

We have?

There are many ridiculous software patents (xor cursor, was the "multimedia"
thing a patent or just copyright? I forget)... but that doesn't mean that
the concept is NECESSARILY evil.

Why should someone be able to patent a new drug, a new mechanical invention,
even a new species (the oil-eating animals/bugs/whatever, and presumably
the genetically engineered plants have patents involved), but not a
clever new software idea?

I'm *sort of* being devil's advocate on purpose, but sort of not.  If patents
are there to make people rich off of their intellectual advances, why leave
software out of the loop?

I realize this is off topic, but heck, I didn't start the discussion.