Re: lynx-dev Downloading a RealAudio File the Hard Way

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Downloading a RealAudio File the Hard Way
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 19:15:37 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Martin McCormick wrote:

>       I have tried to download a realaudio file from a site and have
> gotten as far as a .ram file.  This looks like most of an URL and I am
> curious as to whether there is any way to convert this in to something
> that lynx understands so I can download the actual realaudio binary.
> Here is the entire .ram file I got.
> pnm://audio.wrn.org/server1/archive/rnw/media_network/rn2_med_mar1899.ra

As you discovered lynx doesn't handle "pnm://" URLs. The "pn" stands
for Progressive Networks, the developers of RealAudio (they changed
their name to Real Networks in 1997). Some of these ".ra" files can
be downloaded with lynx, if the files are also available to the http
or ftp server. The only way to tell is to try. So first download the
".ram" file as you did and read the contents. Then try to get the
named ".ra" file by http or ftp. If it is not available, the only way
would be to write to the owner of the web site, asking that they make
the file available by one of these protocols. In the case of World
Radio Networks, they make these available by ftp. See:
"ftp://ftp.wrn.org/archive/rnw/media_network";
                                Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)