Re: lynx-dev Lynx Referer: problem

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx Referer: problem
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 00:05:35 -0500 (EST)

990310 Michael Smith wrote:
> Lynx doesn't send a Referer: header
> when following a link from a page generated from a URL with GET query data:
> 2.8 CHANGES 1997-07-02
> * Mods in LYGetFile.c to include URLs with content from a form submission
>   with method GET in the group for which Referer headers are never sent,
>   because the content might include private (e.g., password or credit
>   card) information which should not be visible in Referer logs. - FM
> Lynx is designed with a little more privacy than NS or IE,
> so I can see the reasoning (tho' I've never seen anyone
> code a user auth or credit card form using GET ;).

> The problem is Lynx doesn't send a Referer header at all.
> As a webmaster, it's useful for me to know
> what search terms people are using to get to my website.
> it should at least send everything up to the ? in the URL
> for the Referer header, so that sites that do referer-based link protection
> will still work from Lynx.  Goto  http://www.shadnet.shad.ca/accountclaim/
> select a campus and year, submit and try to follow a link for anyone's name.

your problem seems genuine, but this fell thro' the cracks.
the basic rule of Lynx improvement is `be prepared to do it yourself':
everyone is a volunteer, usually with very limited time,
so things get done when someone with enough programming skill
also has a strong enough desire to implement them.
do you know enough C to have a go at this one?
if so, don't hesitate to submit an appropriate patch.