Re: lynx-dev glibc 2.1

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev glibc 2.1
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:14:18 +0300 (MSK)

22-Mar-99 10:22 Artur Frysiak wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, address@hidden wrote:

>> > I can't recompile lynx 2.8.1/2.8.2 uder glibc 2.1, at LYMainLoop.c egcs go
>> > into loop, nothing happend, but top shows, that gcc works something with
>> > the
>> > job. Configure run fine.
>>
>> LYMainLoop.c and GridText.c are very large files - perhaps taking the -O
>> out of the compiler flags will make this work.

> Yes.
> Please look at lynx.spec from PLD (glibc 2.1 ready Linux distribution):
> [..]
> %build
> CFLAGS="-w" LDFLAGS="-s" \
> ./configure \
> [..]

DJGPP FAQ says:

Compiling with PGCC or EGCS variants of the GNU compiler can also sometimes
run out of virtual memory.  These two compilers are memory hogs, especially
when compiling C++ programs, and at high optimization levels.  One particular
case is when your program makes use of many STL classes.  Try compiling
without optimizations.  I'm told that sometimes omitting the -Wall switch
prevents the compiler from using up too much memory (that sounds awfully like
a bug to me), so try that as well.

and:

Lately, the FSF has split the GCC development into two branches: one is the
regular GCC, while the other is called EGCS(1), the "Experimental GNU
Compiler System".  The latter is usually less stable than the GCC releases,
but supports more advanced features, like the so-called "Haifa scheduler", a
new global subexpression elimination engine, and multi-language stuff.  PGCC
is a derivative of EGCS which supports additional optimizations specific to
the x86 architecture; its optimizations for Pentium CPUs, and even for an
i486, are better than those of GCC.  So if you need to squeeze the last bits
of performance from programs that target Pentium machines, use EGCS/PGCC to
compile them.  One drawback of EGCS/PGCC is that compilation is slower than
with GCC and needs much more memory, sometimes an order of magnitude more,
especially at higher optimization levels.  PGCC was ported by Andrew Crabtree
<address@hidden>, and can be downloaded from the PCG site
(http://www.goof.com/pcg/).