Re: lynx-dev glibc 2.1 (patch)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev glibc 2.1 (patch)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:27:30 -0500 (EST)

990322 TD & PW discussed someone's problem:
>> I can't recompile lynx 2.8.1/2 under glibc 2.1 at LYMainLoop.c
TD> LYMainLoop.c and GridText.c are very large files:
TD> perhaps taking  -O  out of the compiler flags will make this work.
>> it works.  Without  -O2  10 minutes ,
>> with  -O2  I killed after  3 hours  on a i5x86-133.
TD> sometime we should split up those large functions,
TD> but I estimate it would take a week's work .
PW> meanwhile, does it deserve a note in PROBLEMS ?  if so, i'll write one.
TD> more like an FAQ.  we've hit this one a half-dozen times.

below are patches for PROBLEMS & INSTALLATION.  in the latter,
i've moved  2  paragraphs of general advice from the end to the front
& tidied up the wording a bit to make it clearer for 1st-time users.
these are against dev.19 , in case there's a small mismatch with dev.20 .

*** PROBLEMS2.old       Tue Mar 23 04:17:11 1999
--- PROBLEMS    Tue Mar 23 04:19:03 1999
***************
*** 23,28 ****
--- 23,32 ----
        setenv CC cc   (or   set CC=cc; export CC  , depending on your shell)
        ./configure

+     If you run into a problem compiling  LYMainLoop.c  or  GridText.c ,
+     try omitting  -O  from the compiler flags; these are very big files
+     & may not compile successfully if you include optimisation.
+
      On a Sun system, the message:
          "Alert!:  Unable to connect to remote host"
      will be displayed every time an attempt is made to access a host

*** INSTALLATION1.old   Tue Mar 23 04:00:21 1999
--- INSTALLATION        Tue Mar 23 04:13:46 1999
***************
*** 1,18 ****

                        Lynx Installation Guide

! This file describes how to compile and install Lynx.  A description of
! Lynx can be found in the README file.  Lynx has been ported to UN*X, VMS,
  Win32 and 386DOS.  The procedures for compiling these ports are quite
! divergent, and are detailed respectively in Sections II, III, IV and V.

! First, however, you must configure Lynx for your system regardless of the
! port you will be using.  Follow the instructions given immediately below to
! configure for your system, and then go to the respective section concerning
! the port you wish to compile.  General installation, problem solving, and
! environment variables are covered in Sections VI and VII.

  I. General configuration instructions (all ports).

  Step 1. (define compile-time variables -- See the userdefs.h file.)
--- 1,33 ----

                        Lynx Installation Guide

! This file describes how to compile and install Lynx.  A description of Lynx
! can be found in the README file.  Lynx has been ported to UN*X, VMS,
  Win32 and 386DOS.  The procedures for compiling these ports are quite
! divergent and are detailed respectively in Sections II, III, IV and V.
! General installation, problem solving and environment variables are covered
! in Sections VI and VII.  There is also a PROBLEMS file in the same directory
! as this INSTALLATION: it contains advice for a lot of special problems
! people have encountered, esp for particular machines & operating systems.

! If you don't understand what one of the defines means,
! try the  README.defines  and  *.announce  files in the docs subdirectory.
! The  docs/CHANGES*  files record the entire development history of Lynx
! and are an invaluable resource for understanding how Lynx should perform.

+ If you still have difficulties, send an e-mail message to the Lynx-Dev
+ mailing list  address@hidden  (see the README file).  Try to include
+ information about your system, the name and version of your compiler,
+ which curses library you are using and the compile-time errors.
+ Be sure to say what version and image-number of Lynx you are trying to build
+ (alternately the top date of the CHANGES file).
+
+ First, you must configure Lynx for your system regardless of the port
+ you will be using.  Follow the instructions given immediately below
+ to configure for your system, and then go to the respective section
+ concerning the port you wish to compile.

+
  I. General configuration instructions (all ports).

  Step 1. (define compile-time variables -- See the userdefs.h file.)
***************
*** 799,817 ****
      After applying patches or editing files to correct for an unsuccessful
      build, be certain to do a "make clean" (or "make distclean" for those
      using auto-configure) before attempting to compile again.
-
-     If something doesn't work, or you can't get Lynx to even compile, or you
-     don't understand what one of the defines means, read the PROBLEMS file,
-     and the README.defines and *.announce files in the docs subdirectory.
-     The docs/CHANGES* files record the entire development history of Lynx
-     and are an invaluable resource for understanding how Lynx should perform.
-
-     If you still have difficulties, send an email message to the Lynx-Dev
-     mailing list (see the README file).  Try to include pertinent information
-     about your system, the OS you are using, the name and version of your
-     compiler, which curses library you are using and the compile-time errors.
-     Be sure to say what version and image-number (alternately the top date
-     of the CHANGES file) of Lynx you are trying to build.

  VII. Setting environment variables before running Lynx (optional)
--- 814,819 ----