Re: lynx-dev Suggestion: Warn if downloading 'breaks'

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Suggestion: Warn if downloading 'breaks'
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:44:01 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> I live at the end of a slow internet link, causing my
> downloads to occasionally terminate due to a timeout or
> other network errors.
>
> Is it possible to introduce into lynx a feature to warn
> me whenever a download (or a html file being displayed) has
> terminated abnormally?  This could take the form of a
> warning on the status line (for html being displayed) or
> a warning on the download page display in lynx.
>
> Since most downloaded files include an indication of the
> number of bytes of data to be transferred, introducing this
> option shouldn't be be too difficult?

Yes, lynx should do something like this.  At least for HTTP files, if
they come with a Content-length header.  Lynx should compare the total
of bytes received with the expected length.

This won't work with the current implementation of byte counting for
the statusline progess message.  The statusline counter implementation
starts counting at the wrong point in the data stream: after the first
buffer, normally 1 network packet, has been read and processed.  It
should start counting exactly where the message body starts (which may
be later or earlier or coincide, depending on factors out of lynx's
control).  That probably means the counter should be (re-?)set to 0
somewhere in HTMIME.c, since that's where the end of HTTP headers is
detected.

    Klaus