Re: lynx-dev Lynx Y2K compliance by manufacturer

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx Y2K compliance by manufacturer
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:15:30 -0500 (EST)

990325 Robert Cardwell wrote:
> I am inquiring about the Year 2000 (Y2K) compliance designation
> for the Web browser Lynx.

the statement on this topic which comes with the distribution package is:

"YEAR 2000 COMPLIANCE

  We believe Lynx works properly for the Year 2000 issues,
  since it does not store dates in 2-digit form.
  Since it must communicate with a wide range of web servers,
  it interprets dates in a variety of formats.
  In particular, if Lynx receives a date with a 2-digit year,
  it assumes that values less than 70 are in the range 2000-2069."

as free software, Lynx offers absolutely no legal warranty of any kind.
we try to make it reliable & bugs reported to lynx-dev get quick attention,
but users have to understand that they use Lynx at their own risk.

> I am a Web developer at Union Pacific Railroad  http://www.uprr.com .
> As a business site, we will be recommending our visitors to use
> a Y2K compliant browser when accessing our site beginning January 1, 2000.
> Today Lynx -- incl the DOS/Windows, Macintosh, and UNIX platforms --
> is the third-most used browser on our site, and represents  c 2 %
> of our traffic or  > 20 000 hits/month .

this information is very interesting to the international volunteer co-op
which via lynx-dev maintains & develops Lynx: we have no real way of knowing
how many people use Lynx or how many sites have it installed for their users.

> Do you publish (or have) a minimum version list of Lynx browsers
> that are certified by your organization as being Y2K compliant?

as above, we believe the latest Lynx 2-8-1 is Y2K compliant,
but users should be told that no-one offers any legal guarantee for it.
Lynx 2-8-1 can be obtained from  http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release .