Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.2dev 20 for vms - bug fixes

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.2dev 20 for vms - bug fixes
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:04:00 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Andy Harper wrote:
> There are a few problems in lynx2.8.2dev20 (17 mar 1999) which prevent a
> succesfull build on OpenVMS, using OpenVMS 6.2, DECC and selecting the
> socketshr network interface. I've found and fixed all those that seem to
> matter; here's a summary:
> [...]
> [.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTTCP.C:
> There seems to be an extra assignment that's not needed, in which both sides
> are undeclared variables hence causing compilation failure. This line should
> be
> removed:
>   666           h_errno = NO_RECOVERY;

There it's rearing its head again...

The value of h_errno isn't currently used anywhere, I added it to make
LYGetHostByName() resemble the interface of gethostbyname() as closely
as possible; and in my book (i.e. my man page), h_errno is part of the
gethostbyname() interface.

Suggestions: (a) just ifdef out the line above for VMS, or
(b) get rid of it completely, and also get rid of the parenthesis in
the comments before 'PUBLIC struct hostent * LYGetHostByName':

    **      HT_INTERRUPTED          Interrupted by user
    **      HT_NOT_ACCEPTABLE       Hostname detected as invalid
 >> **                              (also sets h_errno) << remove this line
    **      HT_H_ERRNO_VALID        An error occurred, and h_errno holds

   Klaus