Re: lynx-dev how do you turn off dired

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev how do you turn off dired
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:13:42 +0900 (JST)

> > > I ran configure with "--disable-dired"; configure reported:
> > > "checking if directory-editor code should be used... no",
[...]
> > > However, the binary using "--disable-dired" is 39048 bytes
> > > smaller than when using "--enable-dired".
> >
> > This option is not the "disable means don't compile", it's the "disable
> > means don't make it the default".

To me anyway "code should be used" means pretty much the same thing as
"should be compiled in."  Actually, I think "--disable-dired" does indeed
mean "don't compile", and is working fine as intended.  Many, many blushes,
and apologies.

It's ALL my mistake, again!  I guess my heart's just not in it enough.
Forgot to prefix with "./" so I was testing with the same binary with
dired compiled in that was aliased to "lynx".  How dumb can you get!

> seem to be the case since Henry gets a smaller binary.

How I found my error was by not linking in LYLocal.o at all.  When
dired still worked I knew I had blown it.  It was interesting to me,
though, that the binary was 764 less bytes by not linking than by
using the ifdef.

> by assuming that he didn't really test the binary that was compiled
> with --disable-dired but a different one.

Exactly the problem.  SORRY!  m(_ _)m

__Henry