Re: lynx-dev Packet driver

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Packet driver
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:31:22 +0300 (MSK)

26-Mar-99 19:30 RYA wrote:
>                         Hello,LYNX developers,
>                 I've downloaded LYNX package.
>         My comp is DELL 386-sx , 4Mb memory,HD = 200Mb.,NO math coprocessor.
> Windows 3.11.
> I would like to run LYNX.EXE from inside MS-DOS 5.0
> After running lynx.bat i was given a message "NO PACKET DRIVER FOUND".
> Please,advise me where could i download PACKET DRIVER for DOS for dial-up
> connections with my Internet provider.

from readme.dos (lynx package at  http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/):

This is version 2.8.1rel.2 of lynx ported to DOS. This version runs in
DOS and requires a 386 or higher and some sort of packet driver. It does
not work in a dos window under Windows 3.x. One packet driver that is
known to work is dosppp. The 0.6 pre-beta version is available from:
"http://mvmpc9.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de/c:/user/toni/dosppp/dosppp06.zip";
"http://personal.redestb.es/tonilop/dosppp/dosppp06.zip";
"ftp://ftp.agate.net/users/01935/internet/dosppp06.zip";
For help in setting up dosppp on your system, see the setup program
developed by Alfredo Cole, available at:
"http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Plaza/4918/setup.zip";
Sample configuration files MYPPP.CFG and CHAT.SCR are included. Be
sure to customize them for your system.

If you just want to run lynx on local files (e.g. to read the help
files), you can run nullpkt.com (usage: "nullpkt 0x60", to unload from
memory: "nullpkt -u"). Don't use this for internet connections. You can't
use bootp for my_ip in WATTCP.CFG when trying to read local files with
nullpkt.

>         MORE:
> I installed resident nullpck.com driver (was in package).
> LYNX ran succesfully but message "Looking for http://browser.edu";
> was encountered and 'o','q','h' comands was not responded.Only Ctrl-C helped.
>         I have NOT any other browser to access to Internet.
> But I have E-mail account. Could i get an advise or instructions how to
Seems you have UUPC (uucp) e-mail account, it is not enough for lynx.exe -
you need to establish slip/ppp connection with you privider.