Re: lynx-dev 'N' for backwards 'n' like "less"?

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 'N' for backwards 'n' like "less"?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 23:16:15 -0500

On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 04:35:34PM -0800, Eduardo Chappa L. wrote:

> *** David Combs (address@hidden) wrote Today:
>
> :) OK, let the vikeys remap it to "?".
> :)
> :) And, what will HELP be, however?
> :)
>
>   It's already "h", there are two keys for help.

No, it would be "H", since "h" works like cursor-left with vi keys on.

I still don't see the logic behind "N" for a reverse search, though.
It doesn't mean that in any other program, including less.  "N" and
"n" both mean "find next match" in less, except that "N" reverses
the direction of the previous search, whereas "n" continues searching
in the same direction.  If I press "N" in less without having already
searched for something, I get the message "No previous regular expression
(press RETURN)" at the bottom of my screen.  If anyone is concerned
about confusing neophytes by using "?" for a reverse search, "N" will
be even more confusing because people will wonder what it stands for.
It has no mnemonic value.  I'd be willing to live with the suggestion
of using the "?" mapping only if vi keys is on, but would suggest some
other key for those who don't like "?" (possibly "R"?).

Chuck