Re: lynx-dev lynx2-8-1/Linux patch for new VTs

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2-8-1/Linux patch for new VTs
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:49:24 -0500 (EST)

990328 Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> I miss the capability to open a new browser window to explore sublinks.
> As I run Lynx mostly on console on a Linux box,
> I decided to play with implementing a "open new browser window" feature
> using the Linux VT_??? ioctl()s.

as JS pointed out, one basic principle of Lynx development is
to keep it fully compatible across all platforms,
so if you want your patch accepted,
it will have to work on other UNIX's, VMS, Win95 etc.

> There's the possibility there's already a way of doing something similar
> without having to resort to the VT ioctls
> (which are heavily festooned with warnings in the manpages).

well, on a UNIX system -- incl Linux -- you can easily run Screen,
which gives you a lot of other capabilities:
if you don't know it, goto  www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/screen .

> <shrug>. It works for me :-)

great, but that's not going to be of interest to anyone else ... (smile).

> It is also deficient in that it is a patch against Lynx 2.8.1,
> rather than the latest developer release.

all patches should be against a recent development version:
the current latest is dev.20, but dev.21 is expected any day.

> Comments?  feel free to email me directly or reply to the list.

try to send all items via lynx-dev, so that everyone will see them.
there's an Archive at  www.flora.org/lynx-dev .

> This is my first post, so if I seem ignorant of basic issues,
> please be patient with me, and let me know where I've gone wrong.

no problem: newcomers are always welcome, esp if they're programmers (grin).
it's very much a do-it-yourself outfit
& debate tends to be vigorous, but generally polite;
subscribers range from simple users to very experienced programmers:
you can learn a lot just by listening in;
Tom Dickey co-ordinates patches & versions,
but decisions are made by consensus as far as possible (TD gets last word).

> is there a lynx-dev FAQ?

look on the Main Help Page --  h  -- for lists of resources.