Re: lynx-dev lynx: questions and suggestions

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: questions and suggestions
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 07:25:47 -0800

On Fri, Mar 26, 1999, Vlad Harchev (address@hidden) said:

| Note: IMO ability to do case sensitve and case insensitive rx-searches
| is very desirable (and may be these variants should be treated as
| different commands).

As has been suggested before, if the search pattern contains one or more
capital letters, the search should be case sensitive; if all are lower
case, a case insensitive search is performed.

Such methodology handles 99+% of the nominal cases one encounters, in a
transparent fashion, and without requiring any special/separate commands
(or search expression modifiers).

If you really want to cover the final ~1% of search cases (eg, find an
all lower case target *without* matching on a string having one or more
of the chars in upper case;  case sensitive search where some/all of the
chars do not have an upper case representation;  etc), then having a search
mode setting in the o(ptions) menu/screen makes more sense to me, than
having separate commands does.

And to reiterate another search-related suggestion:

In addition to using the n/N keys in the less-like manner, it would be
*very nice* if you could also implement less's behavior of using a "bare"
"/" or "?" to substitute for "n" or "N", respectively (when a search target
has already been defined).

/kim