Re: lynx-dev lynx: questions and suggestions

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: questions and suggestions
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:07:25 -0800

since you seem to be learning the innards of lynx quite well,
it looks like, PLEASE add TO THE SOURCE-DOC
any "oh, I see what they're doing"
and "can this be correct?"  and "geez -- why didn't they do
this this OTHER way; would have been better, easier coding,
more efficient, ...", etc.

Even it some code is "fairly obvious", add doc for that
too!  (We keep getting complaints on lynx-dev from people
saying the code is incomprehensible, that if they could
UNDERSTAND it, they'd be quite happy to HELP OUT.)

THANK YOU!

On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 03:42:51PM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>  Here are some questions:
>

>   New features I hope I will be able to add sometime (but I'd like somebody
>   implemented them :) :
> *Regex matching
>   I'm planning to use Stallman's regex library since it offers  the ability to
<snip>

BEWARE OF DOING THIS!!!   LEGAL ISSUES INVOLVED!!!

RMS (Richard Stallman), who has given us all so very much,
has a belief that (a) software should be free and
(B) FREE SOFTWARE MAY NOT BE USED "WITHIN" COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE.

There has been long discussions here about whether lynx should
or should not sign-on to the gnu "copyleft" contract.

Just make sure that you've cleared your proposal with
everyone on the list re the EFFECT inclusion of that
library into lynx would have, legally.

That's all -- just check it out with everyone else.  I myself
am not sure just where this issue is right now -- although
I belive I recall they're saying that lynx is NOT under the
gnu copyleft contract.

David