Re: lynx-dev lynx: questions and suggestions

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: questions and suggestions
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:13:47 -0800

On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 11:02:00AM -0500, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> From: Kim DeVaughn <address@hidden>
> > If you really want to cover the final ~1% of search cases (eg, find an
> > all lower case target *without* matching on a string having one or more
> > of the chars in upper case;  case sensitive search where some/all of the
> > chars do not have an upper case representation;  etc), then having a search
> > mode setting in the o(ptions) menu/screen makes more sense to me, than
> > having separate commands does.
>
> Perhaps what could be done is to skip the case semi-insensitive searching
> for metacharacter expressions - then to get a lower case only search for
> "abc" one could do:

I prefer the DWIM (Do What I Mean) method suggested by Kim.

Easy to remember.

FAR better then the horrible unix "ed" suggestion to do
case-independent searaching via '[fF][oO][oO]" -- or was
it sed that suggests that?  (no -i switch)

(Seems to me that much of unix text-tools were designed
to search only ONE kind of thing -- C programs!)

David