Re: lynx-dev lynx2-8-1/Linux patch for new VTs

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2-8-1/Linux patch for new VTs
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:56:42 -0500

On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 07:47:37AM -0600, Klaus Weide wrote:

> > > how widely available is  openvt ?  it doesn't have a man page on this
+system.

> On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 address@hidden wrote:
> > it's Linux-specific (yesterday's discussion pointed that out).
>
> ...and isn't called openvt everywhere.  Here it's just open.

The original name was open, when it was distributed by itself (actually,
with another program called switchto).  When it was added to the kbd
package, it was rewritten slightly, and renamed openvt.  The rewriting
introduced a bug which prevents it from returning to the original console
when exiting when both -w and -s are used, as it says in the man page.
I have a patch to fix that for anyone who's interested.  Since it's
really off-topic here, I'll mail it to anyone who wants it.

If other OS's have something similar, they could use the same technique,
so I don't think we really need to add this functionality to lynx.  On
the other hand, if someone wants to pass cookies or history from one lynx
session to another, a method could be devised that wouldn't be OS specific.
Personally, I don't see a need for that myself.

Chuck