Re: lynx-dev (patch) dev21: avoid expanding ~ to $HOME for DOS/WIN

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev (patch) dev21: avoid expanding ~ to $HOME for DOS/WIN
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:03:29 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> * fix to avoid expanding ~ to $HOME for non UNIX/VMS filesystems
>   where this character is a valid char within filename (one particular problem
>   was for Win95 LFN path being in TEMP, report by
>   "Robert D. Dedman" <address@hidden>).  More places fixed,
>   currently ifdef'ed with DOSPATH, but how about __EMX__?  - LP

Please don't do this. ~ as $HOME is quite useful in DOS, and should
be in Windows also. If you think this needs to be fixed for Win32
systems, something more specific to the problem would be appropriate.
When ~ is to indicate $HOME, it will be either the first character in
the address or surrounded by "/" (or "\\"). Thus the following should
be left as $HOME:
file://localhost/~/path_to_file/file.ext
~/tempfile.ext

The following should not:
file://localhost/path_to_file~1/file.ext
c:/path_to_file~1/file.ext
c:\\path_to_file~1\\file.ext

I doubt that I am up to doing the coding myself. I would ask that we
not take away good functionality in order to fix a small bug.
                                  Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)