Re: lynx-dev Bug in FTP access to wuftp

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Bug in FTP access to wuftp
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:13:40 -0500

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 02:08:39PM -0600, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> > This is not a bug in Lynx, except to the extent that Lynx cannot view
> > FTP directories that are set up with wuftp. In trying to build the Lynx
> > FTP site, I've found that directory listings are missing when the wuftp
> > server uses the "virtual FTP" service. As an example, the ftp.wustl site
> > is running this server; I see this with command line ftp:
> I don't even get that from 'ls' with at least one ftp client.
>
> The server gives the above (file names without any additional info)
> Try the command 'debug' in your ftp client in order to see.
> It seems pretty broken to me.
>
> Probably it is a file/directlry permission mismatch.  What are the
> uid/gid of the running ftpd process after someone has logged in
> as "anonymous"?  Do they match the owner/group of the directories
> and files that should be accessed?  What's the userid listed in
> inetd.conf? (I think it should be root.)
>    ----
> Why do you think this has something to do with "virtual FTP"?  Is
> virtual FTP needed for sol.slcc.edu?  As I understand it, it doesn't
> make any sense unless the machine has more than one IP address.

The new site we are setting up for anonymous FTP access has a virtual
address. I'm not ready to announce it until it's working, but I suspect
the virtual configuration because I can see the files when I use the
true host name and navigate to the directory set up for Lynx (it's not
on slcc).

I'll check on the permissions, etc. and let you know what I see.

Marvin the Paranoid Android.