Re: lynx-dev virtual html pages (fwd)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev virtual html pages (fwd)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 00:31:17 -7100 (BST)

> 990330 C J Lawson wrote:
> > I ran into some program that converts ordinary text files to html
> > and after running the file once or twice on misc files,
> > I tried piping the result to lynx ... didn't like it

Lynx isn't a general file viewer. You would be much better using
a designed for the purpose tool, e.g, most or less, and if you want
directory browsing, Midnight Commander.

> > what if there was a way to generate html files on the fly
> > and then store them in some virtual memory space
> > (remember the ancient days of 'device=C:\..\ramdrive.sys' )

Any Unix system, with sufficient memory, will cache recently accessed
files with no need for any additional software.

> this is beyond me: anyone else have thoughts?

I think the thinking is confused, which is why you don't understand it.

> Mr Lawson appears not to be currently subscribed
> -- he sent this to me personally -- , so he should be cc'd.

No reply address available, so you'll have to CC him.  Probably, you
should have ignored him; there has been a recent increase in the number
of people asking questions of frequent list contributors when they
should have been asking on the list.