lynx-dev Re: The old lynx bug (was: Re: Bugs older than two years)

From: Martin Schulze
Subject: lynx-dev Re: The old lynx bug (was: Re: Bugs older than two years)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 13:05:08 +0200

Dear Lynx developers,

we have received the follwoing report through the bug tracking system
of Debian at http://www.debian.org/Bugs/.

The bug is against version 2.4-FM-960316-1 but still present.
The entire report can be viewed at
http://www.infodrom.north.de/Debian/Bugs/db/38/3846.html

Caveat: The URL as given in the bug report is not available anymore.

Please keep address@hidden in your replies in order
to record it in that bug tracking system.

There is a bug in the parsing produced by lynx, as shown below.  The
line marked >>>>> should not appear.

(Interestingly Mosaic 2.7b4 and Netscape 2.01 each have a bug here
too, but their bugs are different from lynx's even though they're the
same as each other's (-:.)

Ian.

http://chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk/~ijackson/test-deflist.html

    >                                      test
    >
    >    keyword1
>>>>>
    >    keyword2
    >           paragraph
    >
    >           second paragraph
    >
    >    keyphrase for third para
    >           third paragraph
    >
    >                                test with compact
    >
    >    keyword1
    >    keyword2
    >           paragraph
    >
    >           second paragraph
    >    keyphrase for third para
    >           third paragraph
    > chiark:~>

<title>Test of definition lists</title>
</head><body>
<h1>test</h1>

<dl>
<dt>keyword1
<dt>keyword2
<dd>
paragraph
second paragraph

<dt>keyphrase for third para
<dd>
third paragraph

</dl>

<h1>test with compact</h1>

<dl compact>
<dt>keyword1
<dt>keyword2
<dd>
paragraph
second paragraph

<dt>keyphrase for third para
<dd>
third paragraph

</dl>

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 12:14:42AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> >    Package: lynx
> >    Maintainer: Christian Hudon <address@hidden>
> >    3846 lynx misdisplays multiple <dt> in <dl>
> >    [HELP] Is this really a bug?
>
> RFC 1866 (HTML 2.0) says:
>
>    The content of a <DL> element is a sequence of <DT> elements and/or
>    <DD> elements, usually in pairs. Multiple <DT> may be paired with a
>    single <DD> element. Documents should not contain multiple
>    consecutive <DD> elements.
>
>    [...]
>
>    Unless the COMPACT attribute is present, an HTML user agent may leave
>    white space between successive DT, DD pairs. The COMPACT attribute
>    may also reduce the width of the left-hand (DT) column.
>
> Thus, it looks like a bug, since (by natural implication) space may be
> left only between successive DT DD pairs, and multiple DT's are allowed
> for a DD.  The newer HTML specifications do not address this.
>
> This should be forwarded upstream.

Which I've done now.

Regards,

        Joey

--
Whenever you meet yourself you're in a time loop or in front of a mirror.