lynx-dev ?Fixed in 2.8.1?

From: Paul Wagner
Subject: lynx-dev ?Fixed in 2.8.1?
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 11:15:04 -0600

I have having the following problem with 2.8 as shipped with RedHat 5.1
(I am in Windoze right now, I think the rpm began with lynx-2.8rel3 or
something similar).

On our corporate internet, we have a domain (MMIT-SMDB.mcit.com) which
we often refer to as mmit-smdb.mcit.com within links. As we understand
it, case sensitivity does NOT apply to domains, either should work. The
problem comes in Lynx when cookies are of different case than the link;
lynx apparently thinks they are different domains, and doesn't send the
cookies back when it needs to. Once we isolated the main problem on the
server side (we were redirecting to a login screen, capturing
ID/password, sending cookies, then redirecting back to the protected
page), and fixed it by making sure redirects were always lower case
(consistent with the prevailing casing for the domain), the problem went
away.

The question, however, remains: domains should NOT be case sensitive,
and cookies should ignore case on domain names when deciding whether to
send them. I read the CHANGES file on 2.8.1, and saw reference to string
case routines and LYcookie.c or something like that. If this is an
indirect or direct relative of this problem, and it has been solved,
great. Otherwise, please add this to the buglist and patch the routines
which compare domains on cookies to case them the same (eg. both lower
case) before comparing them.

Thanks, and kudos for your continued support/enhancement of lynx...

Paul Wagner
MCI WorldCom