Re: lynx-dev Memory problems

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Memory problems
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:57:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> I don't see the URL you were connecting to.  Perhaps the page is 'rather'
> large
>
> > I tried to use a freshly compiled lynx (2.8.1 rel2) to access the LSM,
> > which
> > caused a surprising amount of disk activity. I checked top and lynx was
> > taking
> > up ALL of my memory. I started getting "Out of memory" messages:
> >
> > Apr  2 21:02:41 mbrown kernel: Out of memory for ypbind.
> > Apr  2 21:02:41 mbrown kernel: Out of memory for ypbind.
> > Apr  2 21:02:41 mbrown kernel: Out of memory for syslogd.
> > Apr  2 21:02:41 mbrown kernel: Out of memory for update.
> > Apr  2 21:02:41 mbrown kernel: Out of memory for httpd.
> > Apr  2 21:02:41 mbrown kernel: Out of memory for cda.
> > Apr  2 21:02:41 mbrown kernel: Out of memory for vi.
> > Apr  2 21:02:41 mbrown kernel: Out of memory for lynx.
> >
> > Any ideas what caused lynx to suck all the memory like that? I can send
> > some
> > more configuration information if desired.

Yep, don't expect everyone to know what the LSM is; give a URL.

Lynx sucks all the document into memory (except when 'd'ownloading etc.),
so if it's huge you need lots of memory.  Raw size in bytes + overhead.

Your memory may already have been close to exhausted.  Keep a "top" process
running to get a better idea what's going on.

You can protect yourself against Lynx using up all memory with ulimit
(bash etc.; try help ulimit, man ulimit, man bash if using bash) or
limit (tcsh etc.).  [Lynx may recover when it detects that memory is
close to exhausted, but that's not guaranteed, it may just abort.]

Or, next time you see this happening, press 'z' to interrupt further
unrelated processes.  (This works better with a slow network link
of course :) )

You may want to set DEFAULT_CACHE_SIZE smaller, but that only limits
the number of documents kept im memory.

Suggestion: since you're compiling anyway, try the "development" code
from <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>, it has various bugs fixed
(and you can help finding new ones...).

Suggestion #2: don't assume lynx is only (or even primarily) for linux;
leave that kind of thinking for Windows users.

   Klaus