Re: lynx-dev virtual html pages (fwd)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev virtual html pages (fwd)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 06:44:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, C.J.LAWSON wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, David Woolley wrote:

[C.J.LAWSON:]
> [...]

Exactly how did you try piping the result to lynx?

And what made you conclude thad lynx "didn't like it?"

What is the behavior you wish to see from lynx anyway in such a situation?
Fully interactive, or more like 'lynx -dump'?

> > Lynx isn't a general file viewer. You would be much better using
> > a designed for the purpose tool, e.g, most or less, and if you want
> > directory browsing, Midnight Commander.
> Indeed Lynx is not a general file viewer ... nor are most, less or mc
> suitable for html page viewing

But mc can be used for viewing html pages, if it is configured to use
(e.g.) lynx as a converter.  And less could also be configured to
use lynx as a converter, see the LESSOPEN environment variable.

> ... In my message, I explicitly said that
> the text was converted to html, first, before it is to be viewed... And
> yes there is a rationale for it (I am sure you can think of others
> yourself).
>
> > Any Unix system, with sufficient memory, will cache recently accessed
> > files with no need for any additional software.
> ??? !!! I cannae see how this has a bearing on the question I asked and
> what is more ... all the world is not unix ..

The question was confusing - I still don't know what exactly the question
is.  There were at least two topics, not clearly related - pipes and
virtual memory/ram drives.  And the whole thing looked more like an
idea for changing something than a genuine question.  You should clarify.

I'm sure David knows that all the world is not unix.  That's probably why
he stated explicitly what OS he's talking about.  Which you haven't done
at all, as far as I have seen.

It should not surpri

> > > this is beyond me: anyone else have thoughts?
> >
> > I think the thinking is confused, which is why you don't understand it.
> I'll let you off Easter is a time of forgiveness ..
>
> > No reply address available, so you'll have to CC him.  [...]
> No reply address available !? Thats odd, I usually have 2 addresses on
> each of my emails ..

The first message as forwarded to lynx-dev didn't have them.

    Klaus