Re: lynx-dev LYNX: reverse-search

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: reverse-search
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 07:45:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> It was discussed recently about adding a revere search functionality,
> one of the main problems was a lack of hot-key space since most of the
> keys are already used by lynx.
>
> Currently we have 'n' key for forward next search.
> It would be logical enough to use capital "N" for backward search
>
> Any ideas?

Currently:

   (pre-backward-search)
   lynx:    WHEREIS search forward  NEXT repeat search, forward

Defaults:
   #KEYMAP:/:WHEREIS
   #KEYMAP:n:NEXT

Other programs:

   less:    '/' search forward      'n'  repeat search, last direction
            '?' search backward     'N'  repeat search, opposite direction

   vi:      '/' search forward      'n'  repeat search, last direction
            '?' search backward     'N'  repeat search, opposite direction

After backward search is implemented in lynx:

   lynx:    WHEREIS search forward    NEXT  repeat search, last direction
       WHEREIS_BACKW search backward  NEXT_REVERSE  repeat search, opposite
                                                    direction

It should be obvious how to map WHEREIS, NEXT, WHEREIS_BACKW, and
NEXT_REVERSE by default so that the keys act as in other programs.
People who want '?' to be WHEREIS_BACKW map it to WHEREIS_BACKW in
lynx.cfg.  People who want '?' to be HELP as before map it to HELP in
lynx.cfg.  The only remaining questions are what the default mapping
for '?' should be if no mapping is specified in lynx.cfg, and, if the
answer to that first question is "HELP as before", what other default
default mapping (if any) should be provided for WHEREIS_BACKW.

No new ideas here, just a repetition (as was your question).

   Klaus