Re: lynx-dev (more patch) minore cleanup

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev (more patch) minore cleanup
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:10:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 7-Apr-99 06:57 Klaus Weide wrote:
> >> +       PUTS("\n");
> >> +                                         PUTS("\n");
> >> +                                         PUTS("\n");
> >> +                                   PUTS("\n");
> >> +                                   PUTS("\n");
> >> +                                       PUTS("\n");
> >> +                                   PUTS("\n");
> >> +                                   PUTS("\n");
> >> +                           PUTS("\n");
>
> > Not worth doing, IMO.  This is unnecessary overhead, the only
> Nevertheless, I saw several PUTS("\n") in HTFile.c
> so I am not the first person there, and overhead really small.

Yes, yes...

> (Instead, I really think it will add more speed since HTML.c/GridText.c
> will not calculate a valid end-of-line wrapping position :)

If not in source mode, HTML.c treats those "\n" like " " (or at least it
should).  There isn't much 'calculation' in GridText.c for this anyway,
it just sets text->permissible_split whenever ch == ' '.

> Looking at the HTML source may be interesting in 8-bit file name context,
> if we got a problem (it still not clean in some unusual situations).

Yes, I do that sometimes, and you do that sometimes, but I haven't
missed nicer formatting, and the penalty always applies.  It's really
small, but still pointless IMO, but you may disagree.  Btw. you could
consider using PUTC('\n') instead of PUTS("\n"), they SHOULD have the
same effect.   But I'll stop beating this horse now.

   Klaus