Re: lynx-dev Lynx doesn't like cookies

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx doesn't like cookies
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 01:55:44 -0700

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999, Eduardo Chappa L. (address@hidden) said:

|   Also I did not find any documentation on how to spawn the editor for
| forms. It was not in the key-strokes help page at least.

Mea culpa.

I really do need to add a short section somewhere in the user guide to
document the new TEXTAREA edit/etc features.

Unfortunately, I've been preoccupied getting ready for a cross-country
move, packing, etc, so I haven't been doing much in the way of working
on lynx lately.

There *are* the following few lines in both the Default and Alternate
Lineedit Keybindings sections of user guide, however:

 >                                  Lynx Line Editor Default Key Binding
 > [...]
 >      LKCMD  Invoke cmd prompt  -  Ctrl-V (in form text fields, only) [2]
 > [...]
 > [2]  Follow Ctrl-V with the key "e" bound to the EDIT function,
 >      to edit the form's textarea field using an external editor.

The other two new TEXTAREA functions require you to add a KEYMAP binding
to your lynx.cfg file, in order to access them.  I use the following:

 > KEYMAP:$:GROWTEXTAREA
 > KEYMAP:^:INSERTFILE

which are then invoked (when the cursor is *in* a TEXTAREA) with ^V$ to
add 5 lines to the TEXTAREA, or ^V^ to bring up the prompt for the name
of an existing file, which is to be inserted into the TEXTAREA (above
the cursorline).

Also, an automatic variation of GROWTEXTAREA is normally compiled-in,
wherein hitting return/enter when the cursor is on the last line in a
TEXTAREA, will result in a new line being added to the TEXTAREA, with
the cursor positioned on the new line.

Note that when *in* a TEXTAREA, any lynx command may be given following
the TEXTAREA "escape" key (currently hardcoded to ^V).

There has been some discussion of other (better ?) ways to invoke the
TEXTAREA specific functions, rather than using the ^V "escape paradigm",
but until we have some sort of consensus on the more general question of
multi-character commands, et`al, I'm not planning to do anything special
to change the current implementation.

Hopefully, my move will be completed in early May, and I'll be able to
add the requisit documentation on the existing TEXTAREA editing functions,
unless someone else takes a shot at it before then ...

/kim