Re: lynx-dev Lynx doesn't like cookies

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx doesn't like cookies
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:15:00 -0700

On Fri, Apr 09, 1999, Eduardo Chappa L. (address@hidden) said:

|(Textarea) Enter text. Use UP/DOWN arrows or TAB to move off (^Ve for editor).
|
|  When I actually tried it, it did not work. I had to press ^V^Ve for the
|editor.

Yes.  That behavior seems to be dependent on the particular flavor of
UNIX being used (FreeBSD, Linux, etc), shell (tcsh, sh, etc), and the
stty/term settings in use.

Unfortunately, the TEXTAREA "escape" key that was chosen in the past,
was ^V, which also happens to be the default used in some installations
as the command-line "quote" key (also called "lnext in stty man pages,
and stty -a output).

For the time being, if using a double-^V bothers you, you can always
put a "stty lnext undef" cmd in your .cshrc file (or the equivalent for
your OS/shell), if you don't normally use ^V as a shell cmdline quote
char.

Or, if you do use ^V in that manner, invoke lynx through a wrapper script
of the form:

 #!/bin/sh
 stty lnext undef
 $HOME/bin/lynx "$@"
 stty lnext ^V
 exit

or some such.

In the future, a "better" choice of a TEXTAREA escape char may make sense,
but such changes should be made in conjunction with whatever is decided
on for implementing multi-char commands in general, etc.

Note also that when NOT in a TEXTAREA, ^V is the lynx command that by
default switches between the SortaSGML and TagSoup modes of HTML parsing
(ie, the SWITCH_DTD cmd).  With the default bindings, etc, you'll also
need to hit ^V twice to invoke that cmd.

^V is way too overloaded, but for now anyway, that's the way things are ...

/kim